Sunday, April 16, 2017

Easter Benediction


"Jesus said, 'Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." 
John 20:21



I cannot finish these Lenten devotions without expressing my joy and gratitude for the experience. When I decided to write a daily devotion as my Lenten discipline, I had no idea what I had really committed to do. I thought, "Heck, I'm a pastor. It should be no big deal to put together a few thoughts every day."

It turns out, I was mistaken. That's nothing new, though.

There were days when I wasn't sure what I would write. There were times when my vision for what the devotion would be was nothing like the end product. Sometimes I wondered if what I had written would mean anything to you. There were also days when the words flowed so naturally, I can only attribute it to divine inspiration.

Actually, it was all divine inspiration. God provided the words and the thoughts; I was simply a willing participant.

It was sheer joy to witness how God used these devotions to speak to you -- and to me. I am so deeply moved and humbled by the feedback that you, the faithful readers of this blog, gave to me. When I doubted the impact of what I was doing, someone would share something that let me know that God was saying something to you. I appreciate that so many of you took time to "share" these blog posts on your own Facebook wall, thus inviting others into my faith perspectives.

As a daily discipline, this blog kept my heart focused and attuned to God; it made me listen to God every day, so I could discern what God would have me write. And so on a personal level, I have experienced something wonderfully spiritual through this journey.

People have encouraged me to continue doing this, and that is my plan. I love capturing inspiration through the lens of my camera, and I love coupling that inspiration with God's word. This blog is something I want to continue.

It won't be every day, though. Probably once or twice a week is what I will be able to sustain on a long-term basis. I will share the posts on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) as I write them, so I hope you will keep an eye on your accounts. Also, in the top right hand side of this blog page, there is a space for you to put your email address, and the devotion will be sent to you via email whenever I publish a new blog entry. (Note: if you are viewing this on a phone or similar device, you might need to click on "view web version" in order to see the place to enter your email address)

I would like to leave you with a benediction written by Ann Weems, from her book, From Advent's Alleluia to Easter's Morning Light. Carol showed it to me, and I think it is a fitting way to end this initial Lenten series (By the way, Carol has been a HUGE inspiration and support throughout these past 40 days. I couldn't have done this without her).

"Benediction"
by Ann Weems

Go now with faithful stamina into your courtyards
to answer whether you know him or not.
Go knowing that he who said, Follow me, will stand up with you.
Go knowing that when you falter, he will hold you up.
Go knowing that when you fail, he will forgive you.
Go knowing that when you say I know this Jesus,
you will dance with the angels on Easter morning.

May you know the peace of faithfulness,
the joy of community,
and the love of grace.
In the name of Jesus, we pray. Amen.


Thank you for accompanying me on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment