Tuesday, February 6, 2018

On Being Faithful

“Who then is the faithful and wise servant...?” Matthew 24:45

“Will you be a faithful teaching elder, proclaiming the good news in Word and Sacrament, teaching faith and caring for people?”Ordination Vow #9, Book of Order, Presbyterian Church (USA)




It's been a busy season in my life. I ended 2017 by concluding my time as the pastor of the Georgetown Presbyterian Church in Georgetown, South Carolina. It was tearful good-bye to a wonderful congregation full of people who loved and nurtured the Wilkins family for over 12 years. The people God put in my life during those years will forever remain precious in my heart.

January not only ushered in a new year, but also a new call in ministry. We packed up our house in Georgetown (no small feat, I assure you), loaded up the moving van, and made the three-hour journey up the road to Clinton, North Carolina, where I am now serving as the pastor of the Graves Memorial Presbyterian Church. The move itself was a major task – and probably will be referenced at some point in a blog later on. But after four weeks, we are unpacked, organized (somewhat), and jumping full steam ahead into the busy life of the church and our new town. In the short time we have been in Clinton, we have already come to love this new congregation. From the get-go, we have been embraced by our new congregation with warmth and kindness.

On Sunday, February 4, I was “installed” as the pastor. That's church-speak for “I was made official” by our Presbytery (our regional governing body). The installation took place in a worship service on a rainy afternoon, but no amount of rain could dampen the mood that we felt that day. The handbell choir had put in extra time practicing for the service. The choir had rehearsed a special anthem that had been written by our music directors as a commissioning hymn (full disclosure: they had written it for another occasion a few years ago, but it served very well for my installation). Guests from the Presbytery came to celebrate with us. A friend and colleague gave an excellent and inspiring sermon. And the women of the church put together a beautiful reception with an amazing spread of food.

The installation portion of the worship service consisted of several questions to which I must provide an affirmative answer, as well as a few questions to the congregation seeking their affirmation, as well. It's a kind of marriage ceremony, if you will – we promise to be together as pastor and congregation through all seasons and circumstances.

The last question I was asked was, 
“Will you be a faithful teaching elder (Presby-speak for pastor), proclaiming the good news in Word and Sacrament, teaching faith and caring for people? Will you be active in government and discipline, serving in the councils of the church; and in your ministry will you try to show the love and justice of Jesus Christ?”

Will you be a faithful teaching elder... proclaiming good news... teaching faith... caring for people... Will you try to show the love and justice of Jesus Christ? This is where the rubber meets the road for me in ministry – faithfulness in all things for the sake of manifesting Jesus Christ.

Faithfulness has always been a special goal of mine. I long ago gave up perfection. I long ago decided that I didn't need to be the most popular or charismatic pastor. I settled for faithfulness.

Actually, faithfulness is not something for which we are content to settle. Faithfulness is a daily striving to live into the claims of the gospel. Faithfulness is pouring myself into everything God calls me to be and do. Faithfulness is being available, and present. Faithfulness is demonstrating that the trust given to me by my congregation and my Lord is not given in vain.

I want to be faithful, because I have been loved. I have been loved by God, and I have been loved by the people I have served as a pastor – from Cleveland, North Carolina, to Midland, Texas, to Georgetown, South Carolina, and now in Clinton, North Carolina.

When Jesus asks, “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants of his household to give them their food at the proper time?”, I want from the depth of my heart for Jesus to be able to look at me and say that I answered that question in the affirmative through my life and ministry.

At the installation service, an elder from the Presbytery gave the charge to the pastor. She referenced the passage at the end of the Gospel According to John, where Jesus says to Peter, “Feed my lambs... Take care of my sheep... feed my sheep.” If I am faithful in ministry, I will feed the sheep with whom God has entrusted me. Even more, if I feed the sheep entrusted to me, I will be faithful.


Lord, help me to be the faithful and wise servant. Help me to feed your sheep. Help me to love your sheep. Help me to be faithful. Amen.


1 comment:

  1. God speed you on your way in this new ministry. It's an exciting time and brings us both great memories of our own ministries.

    ReplyDelete