Saturday, September 14, 2019

Butterflies and Faith, part 2






Butterflies and Faith, part 2.

Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like one of these.” (Matthew 6:28-29)

I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works.” (Psalm 139:14)


I like butterflies.

But you know that already, at least if you have read this blog or followed me on Instagram (@revshw) or Facebook. 

Butterflies reflect some wonderful things about my faith. For one thing, butterflies are a beautiful reminder of new life in Christ. I might have already told you that.

Butterflies also remind me that God is a detail-oriented God. Very detail-oriented.



When they are flying or flittering from flower to flower, it’s hard to appreciate the detail of their beauty. But when I capture them in a photo, I am amazed at how intricately designed – decorated, really – the butterflies really are. Every line, every circle, every dot, every swirl is wonderfully painted onto the butterfly by a Master Artist. 

Even the bottom of the wing is different from the top of the wing. 




Jesus spoke of the beauty of the lilies of the field, unmatched by even the most glorious human design. If I were to expand upon Jesus’ teaching (not that Jesus’ teaching ever needs expanding upon), I would point out the same truth with butterflies. Solomon’s most fabulous clothing could never hold a candle to the beauty and glory of the butterflies.

Butterflies are fearfully and wonderfully made. They are beautifully and individually created by God. 

So are you. So am I.

You see, there isn’t a single detail in our being that doesn’t have the imprint of the Creator. You are a masterpiece, intricately designed for beauty and purpose by God. If God cares enough to provide for the beauty of butterflies, don’t you think God cares about you?

Of course he does. God cares deeply about you, infinitely deeper than you can possibly imagine.

So the next time you look at a butterfly and consider its beauty, consider this also: You are a beautiful, fearfully and wonderfully made masterpiece. Every detail of your being has the touch of the Master.


No comments:

Post a Comment