Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Pass It On

“I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.” 
2 Timothy 1:5




So, back to the flowers again. Carol and I were talking about the beautiful plants in our yard (which we fondly refer to as a “happy place.”). Carol rightly observed that a good number of the plants we enjoy year after year are plants that were already part of our yard when we bought the house in 2005. All the azaleas, the nandinas, a few daffodils and lilies, two beautiful old camellia bushes – they were part of our landscape when we moved in, and we've kept them around. We also have a few clippings that we gleaned from our neighbor's yard before she moved away at the age of 95 years old (she told us to take them, so it's okay; we're not thieves, you know).



Unless you're the original owner of your home, you probably are the beneficiary of some shrubs, bushes, or other perennials that previous owners left behind. Technically, trees are perennials, so even if you have pulled everything out of the garden, your yard still probably bears at least some imprint from those who have gone before you.

I, for one, am grateful for the Puseys (the family that owned the house before us), because much of the beauty we get to enjoy in our yard comes as a result of the seeds, bulbs, and bushes that they planted. Carol and I are the heirs of a legacy
of beauty. We never met the Puseys, and they never knew us; yet they loved their home and they wanted it to be a place where others coming after them could enjoy the fruit of their work.

I think the Christian faith works much in the same way. So much of what you and I get to enjoy comes to us as a result of people who have gone before us. Some of them are people we have known – our parents, Sunday School teachers, pastors, youth leaders, etc. – and who have been intentional about handing off the faith to us. But there are also countless other people who never knew us, yet they loved God so much that they wanted to leave a legacy of faith that would enable others to appreciate God's faithfulness and love. They planted the seeds, but we get to enjoy the fruit.

My heart wells up with gratitude for the faithful generations who invested their lives in the ministry of the church, so that you and I would have a community that would help us develop our own faith in Jesus Christ. Because they gave of themselves so generously – in terms of time and personal resources and commitment – you and I have received a wonderful gift called the Body of Christ.

As one who has been given this amazing treasure called the church, I want those who come after me to possess this same treasure. Certainly that includes my children and grandchildren (when they come, Lord willing). But I also want people whom I will never know to experience the richness of God's grace and love. That's why I am so invested in the church, not so much as an institution, but as a community of faithful disciples sharing the gospel with new generations of disciples.

In his letter to Timothy, the apostle Paul acknowledges that Timothy's faith arose from his spiritual forebears: “I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.” (2 Timothy 1:5)

Timothy was at least a third-generation Christian (Grandmother, mother, and then Timothy).

I don't know how many generations back my Christian family tree goes; I suspect a long, long way back. But this I do know: For our children, and their children, Carol and I want to be more than just their grandparents by birth; we also want to be their spiritual grandparents, passing the faith on to them. And for countless others whom I will never meet, I hope that the faith that has enriched my life with blessing upon blessing, comfort upon comfort, hope upon hope, will somehow trickle down to new generations.

The beauty of what I have inherited from those who have gone before me, I want for others to experience for centuries to come.


I hope you do, too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment