Friday, April 8, 2022

Standing on the Promises

 “The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever.” (Isaiah 40:8)



I think the Bible gets a bad rap sometimes. I would say it’s probably because over the centuries people have distilled its purpose down to being a big thick rule book that can be used to beat us over the head and into submission. To be sure, the Bible contains commandments – at least ten of them – and what is a commandment, but a rule that is supposed to be obeyed. And throughout history the Bible has been used to justify things like slavery, abuse of women, antisemitism, global imperialism and colonialism. So I can see why some people cast a suspicious glance at me when I say something like, “The Bible says…”



It’s a shame that the Bible has fallen out of favor for so many people. It’s a shame that people see the Bible as an instrument of oppression, or that the Bible simply describes a God who is out to get us – you know, zap us with a lightning bolt. It’s a shame that the Bible has been condensed to a series of “thou shalts” and “thou shall nots”.

It’s a shame, because there is no greater source of hope, wisdom, and truth than the word of God. When I need to know that there is more to this life than division and strife and warfare, I turn to Scripture, where I find a word of peace and reconciliation. When I wonder how I must navigate my way through life, I turn to God’s word, where I learn that I should strive to love the Lord with my whole being, and love my neighbor as myself. When I feel like the world around me presents a different truth every day, I turn to Scripture, where I am reminded that though people are like grass that withers and flowers that fade, the word of our God will stand forever.



I think it’s time to recapture the beautiful purpose of the Bible as the word of God that offers hope, guidance, wisdom, and truth in a world where none of those things can be found.

The verse I quoted at the top of this devotion is one that my beloved childhood pastor quoted before every sermon. Following his example, I also recite that verse before every sermon. Not in a way that demands unflinching obedience, but in a way that points to our source of hope. When I say that the grass withers and the flower fades, but the word of our God will last forever, I am saying that the words of truth and command and hope and promise spoken long ago still stand today. 

I can open the Bible and hear God say, “Those who wait on the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint,” and I know that the promise of renewal still applies to you and me today.

I can hear Jesus’ gracious invitation, “Come to me, all you who are weary and carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest,” and I know that he didn’t just say it to the 12 disciples, but to us also.

I can listen in on Jesus’ telling the scribes and Pharisees, “Whatever you did (or did not do) for the least of these, you did (or did not do) for me,” and I realize that Jesus tells me the same thing today.

I can read the words of Paul who says, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith..." and "Whoever is in Christ is a new creation..." and "nothing in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord," and I know that every one of those words rings true today.

I can turn to any page of Scripture with the confidence that the principles, truths, and promises spoken to ancient peoples long ago still hold for you and me.

Because the word of God will stand forever.

I think it’s time we recapture the beautiful and life-giving purpose of the Bible.



No comments:

Post a Comment