Wednesday, April 6, 2022

The Last Word

 “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with God’s people. Amen.” 

(Revelation 22:21, the last words of the Bible)



When we were in North Carolina, the city cemetery was about four blocks away from our house. It was more than the city cemetery – it was also the place where dozens of people took their daily walks every morning. For four years, I walked or jogged all the paved pathways winding through the cemetery. As a small-town cemetery, it had some beautiful natural features, sitting on a hill, a couple of scenic ponds, bordered by towering pine trees. I loved watching the hawk families hunt and nest in the trees, as well as the pileated woodpeckers (think Woody Woodpecker), kingbirds, bluebirds, cardinals, and a host of other birds flitting about. It was a very pleasant place to walk.



It’s an old cemetery, with many graves dating back to the early 19th century. As time went on, I began to pay attention to the headstones and their designs. Some had inscriptions, some indicated military service, some had religious designs etched into the granite, and – thanks to modern computer-driven imaging – some had modern pictures carved into them. 




Some people will put a lot of thought into the headstone. Maybe a person told their loved ones their wishes regarding what to put on their headstone. Or maybe the headstone was designed by the survivors, as a way of honoring the deceased. Either way, headstones often convey some sort of message.

"Blessed Are the Pure in Heart"


I look at the headstone as an opportunity to speak a last word to any who pass by. Last words tend to be important. When someone knows that they are speaking their last words, they tend to focus on what is important to them. No small talk – just the stuff that really matters. 

I’m reminded that when Jesus was in the upper room with his disciples he knew that he wasn’t going to see them the next day. So he focused on what was really important – sharing the bread and the cup, and saying to them, “Do this in remembrance of me;” washing their feet, and saying, “Love one another as I have loved you;” praying aloud for them, “Father, may they be one, as you and I are one.”

When Jesus knew he only had a few hours left, he made every word matter.

If I have a headstone with my name on it, I want to make sure it conveys something that is important to me. I want my last words to speak of things that have stirred my heart with the goodness and mercy and grace of God. So – and this certainly will be no surprise for any of you who have known me for any period of time or who have been part of the churches I have served – I want my headstone to say something about love. And it has to come from the Bible, not something you found on the internet. 

I will leave the final details to my family, but here are a few suggestions:

Jesus said, “Love one another as I have loved you.” – John 15:12 (I figure if it is good enough to be among Jesus’ last words, it’s good enough for me. Besides, it’s also the verse reference that Carol and I have inscribed on our wedding rings).

“And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge – that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.” – Ephesians 3:17-19

“Beloved, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.” – 1 John 4:7-8

And recognizing that whoever arranges for the headstone may have to pay by the letter, here’s one that is a bit more succinct and to the point: “And now these three remain: Faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.” – 1 Corinthians 13:13


Any of these scriptures will faithfully capture the last word I wish to speak.

When all is said and done, what will be the last word you speak?

Choose wisely, because it will be carved in stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment