Monday, March 27, 2017

If You're Treated Like a Statue

"If someone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other also." 
Matthew 5:39




There may be a bit of irreverence today. But there is a point. 

Trust me.

When we were in London and Scotland, two things quickly became evident to me. First, there is a wonderful and abundant heritage of honoring major historical figures by erecting statues by which to remember them. Scholars, war heroes, queens and kings, religious figures. Statues abound in Britain. The other thing that quickly became evident to me was that the statues were remarkably adept at collecting, well, bird poop.

On. Their. Heads.


The little boy in me was fascinated by the poopie heads. So much so, that I even created a specific photo album on my Facebook page, “The Hard Life of British Statues”. Go ahead, take a look at it (I know you want to!). When you finish, come back to this page...



...Now that you're back, I actually have a point to make.

Recently one of my sermons dealt with the infamous “turn the other cheek” passage from the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7). You know the passage, the one where Jesus says, “You have heard that it was said, 'eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I say to you, do not resist an evil person. If someone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.” (Matthew 5:38-39) As Jesus goes on, he teaches that when people insult you or defame you, do not retaliate in like manner. Instead, shower them with love: turn the other cheek, give them the shirt off your back, go the extra mile, pray for them.

Tough teaching, I know. But Jesus meant it. And he lived it himself. Read the story of the crucifixion, and you will see how perfectly he fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: “He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth...” (Isaiah 53:7a)

I say this because there are times when we feel like people are treating us like British statues (and I'm not talking about the honorable intent of the statues!). It takes all we can muster not to strike back, not to meet insult with insult. Really, it takes all we can muster, and then some—it takes the Spirit of Christ at work within us, not only to resist the urge to retaliate, but even more to respond with love.

I know, life is tough. And challenging. People can be downright mean.

But being a follower (and a representative) of Jesus Christ demands that we meet the challenge. I hope you will draw on the grace and love that God has shown to you in Christ, and seek the higher road.

When life treats you like a statue, respond with grace.


Then pray for rain...


No comments:

Post a Comment