Sunday, March 5, 2017

Sunday Prayer


When they said, “Let's go to the house of God,”
          my heart leaped for joy.
                                               - Psalm 122:1 (The Message)



Here's a bit of Lenten trivia: Sundays do not count as Lent.

That's right. If you gave something up, you can pig out on it today!

Why do we allow for this exception? Lent is a journey of penitence and reflection leading to our celebration of Easter. Sundays are The Lord's Day; Sundays are an observance of the resurrection. Accordingly, we do not fast while the Bridegroom is present (see Mark 2:19). Don't worry, you still have to "fast" for 40 days, even without the Sundays. Give yourself a break. Or some grace, at least.

All this to say, no devotion today. 

In lieu of a devotion, on Sundays I will share a prayer written by one of the saints who have gone before us.

In the meantime, I hope you will go to church today. 

It's what you need.

It's what we all need.

Let your heart leap for joy.


O God, full of compassion,

I commit and commend myself to you,

in whom I am, and live, and know.

Be the goal of my pilgrimage,

and my rest by the way.

Let my soul take refuge

from the crowding turmoil of worldly thought

beneath the shadow of your wings.

Let my heart, this sea of restless waves,

find peace in you, O God.

Amen.


- Augustine of Hippo

No comments:

Post a Comment