Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Wonderfully Made!

“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...”
Psalm 139:14



The other day as I was walking into the entrance to the church office, one of our members was walking out the same door. He pointed to the light fixture above and said, “Did you see the Luna Moth? It was here yesterday, and it's still here today.”

I looked up and, sure enough, there was a beautiful lime-green moth with a wingspan of about four inches, perched motionless on the lamp. I did what any hip 21st century citizen of planet earth does in this situation: I whipped out my phone and took a picture.

Life lesson: Always have your phone charged and ready. You never know when you might get an awesome picture of a cool moth. Like this one, a Vine Sphinx Moth that I saw when I was walking home for lunch one day.

Or like this one, which I saw on the front door trim of my house one morning. Pretty cool camouflaging, right?


But, as usual, I digress.

Moths are fascinating. I am captivated by their symmetry, and their intricate designs that are meant either to hide the moths from predators, or to confuse and intimidate the predators. Interesting fact: Most moths will live only for a few days, maybe a couple of weeks. The Luna Moth doesn't even have a mouth, so it doesn't eat anything; I suppose it lays eggs, and then will die (but I really don't know that for sure. I'm just guessing. An educated guess, though – I am a doctor, you know).

When I look at the moth, I am in total and complete awe at their Designer, God. I think to myself, “Isn't it amazing that God would go to such great lengths to give such intricate design to the more than 11,000 kinds of moths in the world, and they live only for a few days?”

Then I think to myself again: “If God gives that kind of attention to the moth, what does that say about how much attention God has given to our design?” And I recall the words of the 139th Psalm:

“For you created my inmost being;
       you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
       your works are wonderful,
       I know that full well.”
       (Psalm 139:13-14)

Did you ever stop to consider just how much detail God has put into God's design for you? It is amazing, that down to the most infinitesimal detail, God has crafted you into a beautiful and wonderful human being! You are precious to God!

And you are unique. There's no cookie-cutter blueprint in God's human-making plan. Each person—you and me, and everyone else—is uniquely designed with eternal love.

Our awesome and amazing God made you, according to his perfect wisdom and glorious creativity.


That makes you pretty special.

No comments:

Post a Comment