Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Thirsting for God

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.  (Psalm 42:1)




For years my family has had a cabin in Colorado. We love the mountains, and we try to get out there at least once a year. When we get to the cabin, the first thing we do—even before we unpack our bags—is drive into Rocky Mountain National Park to view wildlife, especially elk and deer. We don't actually have to look out for the elk, because when we see a bunch of cars pulled off to the side of the road, we know there is an animal sighting; they call it the elk jam.

Even if we don't see them along the road, we can pretty well count on deer and elk grazing along the Fall River or the Big Thompson River.

When we do spot them by the water, immediately my mind goes to the psalm: “As the deer thirsts for streams of water, so my soul longs for you, O God.”

I can relate. Not just on the aesthetic appreciation of the image of the dear grazing along the stream. No, even more, I relate to the image of thirsting for God. One of the things I have come to realize is that there is within all of us an innate spiritual thirst; and I am convinced that nothing will quench that thirst apart from communion with God.

We were created for communion with God. But our sin has broken fellowship with God, and so there is a longing for what we are missing.

We thirst.

And unless we direct our hearts toward God, then our thirst will never be satisfied. Another person will not satisfy our thirst. A job will not satisfy our thirst. No accumulation of wealth will satisfy our thirst.

St. Augustine famously said, “My heart was restless until it found its rest in thee, O God.” My soul thirsts for God. Your soul thirsts for God. And apart from God, our thirst will not be quenched.

There's good news, though: Jesus offers us precisely what we need. He restores our communion with God. He offers us living water, to quench our thirst.

Jesus says to you and me, “Whoever drinks the water I give will never thirst. The water that I give will become in them a spring of water gushing up to eternal life.” (John 4:14)


You're thirsty. So am I. I know where we can drink, and be satisfied. Will you drink with me?


No comments:

Post a Comment