Friday, February 28, 2020

A Prayer for Leap Day

Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love,
     that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.
(Psalm 90:14)






A Prayer for Leap Day.


Today is a bonus gift, O Lord. It is Leap Day, an extra day.
You give us 365 days every year. 
But every four years you give us an extra day.
Today, like every day, is the day that you have made, 
     so I will rejoice and be glad in it.
Today, like every day, is a gift from you.

But today is a bonus, because it is Leap Day.
Thank you for this gift, O Lord.
Thank you for an extra 24 hours in which I can
  glorify you,
    serve you faithfully,
      love you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength,
        love my neighbor as myself.

You do satisfy my heart with your steadfast love,
that I might sing for joy and be glad all my days;
grant, O Lord, that today I might sing just a little louder,
and be just a little more glad.

Because today is Leap Day,
an extra day,
a bonus gift.

To the infinite grace you bestow upon me,
you have added yet one more day.

And I thank you.

I should leap for joy.
Because it is Leap Day, after all!

With love that overflows my heart,
I give you thanks,
through Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen.


During the season of Lent, I am "Praying with David," using the prayers found in the psalms as inspiration for personal prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment