Saturday, February 8, 2020

Repeat These Words





The Lord of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our refuge.” (Psalm 46:7, 11)


refrain / ri ‘frein /: a phrase or verse recurring at intervals in a song or poem, especially at the end of each stanza; chorus.

Recently my morning devotions led me to the 46th Psalm, which most of us know by two lines:
God is my refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble...” and 
Be still, and know that I am God!”

I, like many of you, love the psalm precisely for the message and sentiment of those two lines. But this time as I read the psalm, something else struck me. It was twofold recurrence of the line, “The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.” Musically (for the psalms were often set to music), and poetically, the line serves as a refrain.

A refrain is a line that is repeated for the sake of emphasis of a thought. Often it highlights the central theme of the poem or song in which it appears. In the case of the 46th psalm, certainly the theme presence and protection of God is effectively underscored by the words, “The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.” 

In many ways, a refrain can become a personal mantra that we may use to speak a truth to our hearts. I can imagine that in times of trouble, one may cultivate a sense of inner peace by the frequent repetition of the words, “The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.” 



It makes me appreciate the treasure we have in the words of Scripture, for all throughout Scripture we find words and phrases that can serve as a personal refrain for us. A few examples, just off the top of my head:

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want...”
In all things God works for the good...”
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end.”
I lift up my eyes to the hills; from where does my help come?”
The grass withers, and the flowers fade, but the word of our God shall stand forever.”
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.”
Come to me, all you who are weary and carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.”
Rejoice in the Lord always! I will say it again – Rejoice!”

When you regularly spend quality time in Scripture, then you begin to store up in your heart these little treasures. And when you find yourself in need of words of comfort and encouragement, then you can reach into the treasury you have built up, and find a refrain to lift you up, to refresh and renew you. Use them much as the instructions on the back of a shampoo bottle (lather, rinse, repeat) – use them frequently and often (redundancy intended).

What are the refrains that give you strength, that fill you with hope, that instill a sense of peace and well-being in your heart? Build up the treasury of biblical refrains in your own heart. Your faith will be strengthened, and you will experience the blessing of God whispering his grace into your spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment