Thursday, February 27, 2020

A Prayer for Those Who Ask, "Why?!"

Why do you hide your face?
   Why do you forget our affliction and oppression?
Rise up, come to our help.
   Redeem us for the sake of your steadfast love.
(Psalm 44:24, 26)




Today, O God, I pray for those who ask, “Why?”

For those whose hopes were dashed by outcomes other than the one for which they had prayed so fervently;
For those who earnestly sought you, and the answer that you gave was not the one they wanted to hear;
For those who have borne the thorn in their flesh for months, years, even decades;
For those whose loved ones have been taken from them far too soon;
For those whose suffering has made them bitter toward you, even wondering whether you care – or if you are there at all...

Today, O God, I pray for those who ask, “Why?”

I confess, O Lord, that I don’t know what to say. 
   I don’t have magical words to make their pain go away.
   I won’t tell them “God works all things for the good…,”
      no matter how much I believe it,
      because that’s not something they can hear right now.
   I won’t say, “God won’t give you more than you can bear,”
      because they’ll call me a liar.

I don’t know what to say, so I pray for them. 
I lift them up to you.

For you know their pain.
   You know their pain, because in your Son you suffered it.
   You know what it is to cry out, “Why?!”
   You know the agony of betrayal and abandonment.



Answer them, O Lord, with your loving presence.
   As they walk through the dark valleys, 
      assure them that you are with them.
   Dispel their darkness, I pray, with 
     your grace,
       your compassion,
          your mercy,
            your peace,
               your steadfast love.

     "This I call to mind, therefore I have hope:
        the steadfast love of the Lord never ceases,
        his mercies never come to an end;
        great is your faithfulness.”

Today, O God, I pray for those who ask, "Why?"

Rise up, O Lord, come to their help.
Redeem them for the sake of your steadfast love.

Please, God: Heal your precious children.
Amen.

P.S., In case I may be an instrument of your healing,
I offer myself to you. Use me, O God, as your agent
of comfort, peace, and love. Amen again.



During the season of Lent, I am "Praying with David," using the prayers found in the psalms as inspiration for personal prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment