Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Then I Acknowledged My Sin to You

Then I acknowledged my sin to you
     and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord.”
    And you forgave the guilt of my sin.
Therefore let all the faithful pray to you
     while you may be found…
(Psalm 32:5-6)




Gracious and forgiving God,
I begin this 40-day journey toward the empty tomb
painfully aware that the reason for this season is sin – 
     even my sin,
     and the sin of the whole world.

It is sin – even my sin – that drove your Son to the cross.
It is sin – even my sin – that pounded the nails 
     into his hands and feet.
It is sin – even my sin – that caused him to cry out,
My God, My God, why have your forsaken me?

I confess to you, O God, my own complicity
in the scandal of the cross.

I am a sinner.

And yet…

And yet, you did not send your Son to condemn the world,
but that the world might be saved by him, and through him.

And yet, you are gracious and compassionate,
slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love.

I am a sinner. And you offer me your forgiveness.
I ask for and accept your offer of grace and mercy.

I desire to counted among your faithful ones
who pray to you.

I desire to live into the truth of your unconditional love.



In all honesty, Lord,
I pray that these 40 days will inform all the days of my life,
so that every day I will confess to you,
and receive your mercy,
and offer myself as a living sacrifice
for you.

Through Jesus Christ,
my Savior and my Lord.
Amen.


During the season of Lent, I am "Praying with David," using the prayers found in the Psalms as a model and inspiration for my own prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment