Monday, March 21, 2022

Abundantly Alive

 “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil, or fade.” (1 Peter 1:3-4)




Yesterday was the first day of spring. Spring, I think, is my favorite season. Bushes, shrubs, and trees erupt in an amazing display of color as their flowers come to full bloom. The bright green of the delicate new leaves on the trees contrasts beautifully against the cloudless blue skies on a cool spring morning. 

Birds are aflutter with activity, building nests and feeding their young. 




In the early spring, you can even enjoy the outdoors without worrying about mosquitos. That, in itself, is reason enough to move spring to the top of the list!

The contrast between the colorful and abundant new life of spring and the drab gray of winter is so very dramatic. It’s one way that God lets us know that death is not the final word, but life. 




I think one reason I love spring so much is because the move from the dead and dormant winter to the lively and vibrant spring is very much akin to what happens in my heart with Jesus. Jesus enlivens me. Jesus fills me with joy and meaning and purpose. Jesus motivates me to share his beauty and majesty with the world in which I live.


“We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.” (Romans 6:4)

 

When I see the azaleas covered in pink and white and red, adorning the landscape with their loveliness, I remember that Jesus has so transformed my own heart, and inspires me to live in such a way as to manifest his grace and mercy.



When I see the birds feeding their young, I remember that Jesus nurtures me with his love, and I am stirred to share his love with all whom I encounter, especially the helpless and vulnerable ones.


When I see the bees and butterflies flitting about from flower to flower, I remember that Jesus has called me, not to hoard his goodness, compassion, and love, but to spread it about liberally and unconditionally.




The beauty and glory of spring – especially on the heels of the dreary and dismal cold and gray of winter – fill me with gratitude that God is about the business of making us alive. 

Truly, abundantly alive.


No comments:

Post a Comment