Saturday, March 19, 2022

The Law of Love

 “Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors.” (Psalm 119:24)



Several years ago Carol and I took a trip to Scotland. It was an amazing experience. We loved the culture, the countryside, the cities, the trains, the accents, the food, the ale, the whisky. 

One of the things that caught my attention was the quirky signage that was posted everywhere. I don’t really know how to explain it, so let me show you a few examples.



In the U.S., we would probably just say, Danger: High Voltage. In Scotland, they put a picture of a guy getting zapped, with the wording, “Danger of Death. Keep Off.” Good thing they were so vivid, because otherwise I would be tempted to climb the electric pole.



I was worried about walking across something that was labeled as a “Weak Bridge,” but I felt more at ease when I saw that the weight limit was 18 tons (or tonnes, as they say in Scotland).




Evidently, they have an issue with dogs. Or, more precisely, they have an issue with dog owners. Clearly, it has reached the point of a public health hazard.



Sometimes I got the feeling that the officials were trying to catch our attention by being cute. Mission accomplished.



This wasn’t technically a sign. But it just goes to show that the Scots aren’t afraid of being blunt and to the point.



Finally, I didn’t know if I was supposed to watch out for elderly people because they are slower in crossing streets and prone to fall, or was this sign warning me about a particularly dangerous class of people? 

++++++++++

All joking aside, the signage has a purpose – to warn us of danger, to guide us in the right direction. The signs are there to protect us, to ensure our safety. They encourage behavior that not only protects the individual, but also makes the community a better, more hospitable place.


When I talk to people about the Bible as my authority in life, it is not unusual for them to look at me with suspicion, as if I am about to take a Bible and hit them over the head with it. A lot of folks think that the Bible is just a bunch of “thou shalts” and “thou shalt nots” that are meant to suck the joy out of life. You know, thou shalt not drink, dance, or play cards – things like that. BTW, you won’t find any of those commands in the Bible. But still, that’s how a lot of people think of the Bible. 

But that’s not the way I see the Bible at all. As God’s word to us, the Bible is not about sucking joy out of life, but the exact opposite – it is about guiding us to live life to the fullest emotionally, physically, spiritually. God gives us “The Law” because God loves us and wants us to have an abundant life. 

 

“Teach me knowledge and good judgment, for I believe in your commands.” (Psalm 119:66)


Sometime you should read through the chapter of the Bible that is probably the most eloquent affirmation of the life-giving nature of God’s word: the 119th Psalm. It’s 176 verses long, so don’t expect to read through it too quickly. But verse after verse is full of praise for God’s law and a personal commitment to live by God’s law, because God’s law is good. God’s law, truly, is an expression of God’s love.

Life can be confusing. How do I know which way to turn, how to react, what to do?

I don’t know about you, but I need all the help I can get. 

“Teach me, O Lord, to follow your decrees; then I will keep them to the end. Give me understanding, and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart.” (Ps. 119:33-34)




No comments:

Post a Comment