Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Stay on the Path

 “...ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is; and walk in it...” (Jeremiah 6:16)


I love to hike. Whether it is in the rugged mountain terrain or along the soft, sandy soil of the coastlands, or anywhere in between, I love to be on the trail. On any given weekend you are likely to find me putting on my walking shoes and getting outdoors. I am always searching for public lands, state parks, national parks, wildlife refuges, and other places where I can go.

I have found that, when hiking, it is good to stay on the trail. The trail is the path that has been cleared by countless soles of the souls that have gone before me (did you get the play on words – I’m pretty clever, right?). Long ago, when the park or refuge or other public place was being designed, somebody went to a lot of trouble to clear out a path for people to hike. The route was set up with safety and beautiful views in mind. And so we don’t get lost. It is good to stay on the trail.



One time I veered off of the path, and it didn’t turn out well. You can read about it by clicking on this link.

I have a T-shirt that I bought to commemorate one of my more rigorous hikes in Colorado. It has a picture of Hallett Peak, and underneath it is an inscription of a Bible verse: “Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is, and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.” It is from Jeremiah 6:16. The inscription is a gentle reminder to live our lives in the way that God has set forth for us.



One day I decided to look up the verse in the Bible. (It’s always good to look up Bible verses that people quote so you can get an idea of the context in which they are found. Context adds meaning.) I discovered that the quote on the T-shirt didn’t include the whole verse. For right after the part that talks about finding rest for your souls, God says this: “But they said, ‘We will not walk in it.’”

Whoa! Suddenly a verse that was a gentle reminder that I should walk on the path that God has made for me now has a bit of a darker side to it. In its context, the verse really is a rebuke to rebellious people.

I think it’s a healthy thing, not only to realize that God’s way is the way of life, but also that there is a downside in choosing not to walk in that way. It is a reminder, not only that the ancient, eternal path that God has cleared for us is the path that guides us safely through life and leads us to experiences of God’s glory and grace, but also that when we choose not to walk that path, we forfeit the abundant life that God offers us.

And so when I put on my T-shirt and look at that verse once again, I whisper two prayers. First, I give thanks that God has provided me with a way that leads to life and to the renewal of my soul. And then I remember the end of the verse, and I pray, “Lord, let it not be said of me that I have refused to walk in your way.”


"All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness"

- Psalm 25:10 

Staying on the path is always good advice, not only because the path will lead us through the wilderness and to our final destination, but also because veering off of the path can be dangerous.

“All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness,” said David, “for those who keep his covenant and testimonies.” (Psalm 25:10) And he’s right. Give it a try, and you will experience confirmation of that truth.

If all the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness, why would we want to choose any other way?





No comments:

Post a Comment