Saturday, March 26, 2022

Praying the Greatest Commandment

 “Of all the commandments, which is the most important one?” (Mark 12:28)


A Daily Prayer of Dedication


Good morning, God.

Today I will love you with all my heart 

   and with all my soul 

      and with all my mind 

         and with all my strength – 

not just because you have commanded me to do so,

   but also because that is the desire of my heart.


I will love you with my whole being

   because you have first loved me

      unconditionally,

      everlastingly,

      passionately,

      uniquely.


I will love you with my whole being

   because you have loved me with your whole being,

      emptying yourself of the privileges of deity

      and becoming a servant

      and offering yourself as a sacrifice for my sins.


I will love you with my whole being

   because apart from you there is no life – 

for you alone are

   the way

      and the truth

         and the life.


And so, good and loving God – 

   gracious and compassionate,

   abounding in steadfast love – 

I will love you with my whole being today.




For if I do not love you with all my heart

   and with all my soul

      and with all my mind

         and with all my strength,

then I will not truly live today the abundant life

   that you offer to me.


If I do not love you with my whole being, 

   the flowers will be less brilliant,

   the mountains will be less majestic,

   the ocean will be less impressive,

   the song of the birds will be less melodious,

   the sun will shine less brightly.

If I do not love you with my whole being today,

   then my life today will be diminished.


If I do not love you with my whole being, O Lord,

   my love for my family and

   my love for my friends and

   my love for my neighbor

      will fall short of love’s potential.


Today I will love you with all my heart

   and with all my soul

      and with all my mind

         and with all my strength,

for only then will all other things

   find their fulfillment.

And only then can I be truly alive.

Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment