Wednesday, February 14, 2024

I'm Ready for Some Good News




 I’m Ready for Some Good News (Mark 1:1-8)


This is the Good News about Jesus Christ, the Son of God.” (Mark 1:1)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I’m ready for some good news. Tell me some good news, O God.

Everywhere I turn, I only see what's wrong with the world. I see an unclean spirit, and I do not like it: I see a world that pursues happiness in ways that only result in emptiness and discontent; I see cutthroat, me-first behavior; I see fits of rage; I see a world indifferent to the plight of the poor, the oppressed, those who are cast out to the margins; I see a spirit and an attitude that dehumanizes people who are different, who are on the other side of some arbitrary lines that we draw. 

Even within myself, I am shocked at what I see, for many of these same ways of the world that leave me aghast – I know that I, too, have something of that bad spirit within me.

I’m ready for some good news. Tell me some good news, O God.

I hear you speaking to me: “My child, the good news that you want – it begins and ends with my Son, Jesus. Jesus is the One in whom you will find the good news that you seek. Jesus is the One who will replace the unclean spirit that so bedevils you, with a spirit that will issue in love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. Jesus is the One who will transform your spirit and who will transform the spirit of the whole world.

But if you want to walk with Jesus, you have to get ready for him. You have to prepare your heart, because the journey with Jesus requires you to devote your entire self to him. You have to turn away from this old way of life which leaves you so empty, and turn toward Jesus with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. And you will receive forgiveness and renewal in return. Are you willing to do that?”

Yes, Lord, I want to walk with Jesus. Because I’m ready for some good news.


Dear God, I need some good news. Direct my heart, today and every day, to look to your Son, who is Good News for all the world. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this timely message on Ash Wed.

    ReplyDelete