Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Take It (Them) to Jesus in Prayer

 


Take It (Them) to Jesus in Prayer (Mark 1:29-34)


Simon’s mother-in-law was sick in bed, burning up with fever. They told Jesus about her… The people brought to Jesus all the sick and demon-possessed…” (Mark 1:30, 32)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Every moment I walk with Jesus, he amazes me. This man is tireless. I mean, he never stops working. We went to Simon’s house for dinner, but Jesus wouldn’t eat until he had healed Peter’s sick mother-in-law. Then after dinner, Jesus didn’t relax and unwind, because there were hoards of people at the door looking for him. They brought sick and demon-afflicted loved ones to him, in the hopes that he would heal them. I watched Jesus in the hours that the moon arced through the night sky; as long as there was someone who had need, Jesus would not turn them away. He kept at it, until he had healed the last person and cast out the last demon.


I was deeply moved, not only by Jesus’ compassion, but also by the loving concern of all the people who brought their friends to Jesus for healing. The first thing Simon and Andrew did when they got to the house for dinner was to tell Jesus about Simon’s mother-in-law. Her sickness had consigned her to bed, and the household was very concerned about her. So they told Jesus. Then the scores of people who showed up throughout the night – I could see in their faces the deep love they had for the ones they brought to Jesus for healing, and the desperate hope that Jesus could do something.


I’ve only been walking with Jesus for a short while now, but already I’ve seen enough to know that Jesus has compassion for those who suffer. He also has the power and authority to act upon his compassion. That’s the winning combination – compassion, as well as the power to do something about it. I mean, a lot of people have compassion. I have compassion for people who suffer, but I a lot of the time I can’t do anything to help alleviate the suffering. I wish I could.


But Jesus has both compassion and power, and that is the key.


As I walk with Jesus, I realize that even when I can’t alleviate all of the suffering I see, I can bring those who suffer to Jesus. I can pray for them, bringing them to Jesus, and entrusting them into his loving care.


Now, I’m not musically inclined, but in my mind, there is a song in this. Maybe long into the future someone will put this thought to music:


What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear.

What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?

We should never be discouraged. Take it to the Lord in prayer.


Just a thought… ;-) 


Dear Lord, I am so grateful that you care. You really care. Even more, I am grateful that you use your power to act upon your care. Let me never forget that one of the most loving things I can do for those who suffer is to bring them to you in prayer. Amen.




3 comments:

  1. THank you, Preacher Man. Your daily messages are so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful thoughts to carry with us on our walk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ll be singing ‘your’ song the rest of the day👍

    ReplyDelete