Thursday, February 29, 2024

Seeds and Soil

 



Seeds and Soil (Mark 4:1-20, 26-32)



God’s kingdom is like seed thrown on a field by a man … (Mark 4:26)



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 



Today I walked with Jesus to the lakeshore. I say “I walked with Jesus,” but of course it wasn’t just me walking with Jesus, because Jesus always has so many people who want to see him and hear what he has to say. 


We gathered by the lakeshore, and all around us were small plots of land that families used for growing crops. While we were listening to Jesus teach, I noticed that there were people scattering seeds in their fields. Jesus noticed this, too, and he took it as an opportunity to use common concepts that we could understand in order to shed light on what he was teaching us about God. So, today Jesus used the example of seeds to help us understand about the kingdom of God.


Seeds grow,” said Jesus. “That’s what they do. They grow. But the way seeds grow and the way they bear fruit depends on the soil in which the seeds are cast by the farmer. Seeds cast on hard packed soil just bounce a couple of times, then they sit there, and the birds come up and eat them. Seeds that land on thin soil will experience a burst of growth at first, but then when adverse conditions strike, the new growth withers and dies. Seeds cast among the thorns and weeds will end up growing some, but they will get choked out. But seeds that are cast upon well-tilled soil will flourish and bear fruit many times over.”


Okay, Jesus. Thanks for the farming lesson. We stood there nodding our heads, acting like we knew what he was telling us. But we didn’t really know what he was talking about, so some of us, including the twelve he had appointed as apostles, went up to him and asked him to explain what he meant.


The seed,” said Jesus, “Is God’s word, God’s message. It’s planted in people’s hearts, but the extent to which God’s word flourishes or fails depends on how much your hearts want to receive God’s word, or not.”


That’s also when he started to use the word, “kingdom.” “The kingdom of God is like seed planted in a field,” he said. “It is like a tiny mustard seed that, when planted, will eventually grow in to an enormous bush, big enough for birds to build their nests.”


It struck me, then, that God’s kingdom is not really a matter of geographical boundaries and palaces and massive armies. No, God’s kingdom is a matter of how well God’s message takes root and grows within our hearts. If we harden our hearts against what God calls us to be and do; or if we only embrace God’s word superficially, not letting it penetrate into the depths of our being; or if we let worries and ungodly pursuits compete with God’s message – then the kingdom will wither on the vine. But if we are willing to accept God’s message and embrace God’s message with our whole being, then there is no stopping the growth of God’s kingdom.


As I walk with Jesus, I realize that I have to look into my own heart. If God’s message of right living, justice, mercy, humility, and compassion is going to take root in my heart, then I need to make sure my heart is prepared to welcome and embrace God’s message. If I am going to be a person who worships and adores God with all my heart, then I have to look deeply into my own heart.



Lord, as I walk with you today, make me mindful of my own heart, so that your message of grace, mercy, compassion, and steadfast love will take root and bear much fruit, all to your glory and honor. Amen.




1 comment: