Friday, February 23, 2024

Something Only God Can Do

 

Something Only God Can Do (Mark 2:1-12)



...Jesus said to the paralyzed man, ‘My son, your sins are forgiven.’” (Mark 2:5)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

There’s something different about Jesus. There, I said it again, didn’t I? But it’s true: There’s something different about Jesus. Jesus shows me something new every day. I see some things in Jesus that make me wonder if he is really human. I mean, he is human. He is fully human, there’s no doubt about that. But he’s more than human. He has to be, to do the things he does and say the things he says.


Like today, for instance. In the middle of teaching a huge crowd of people, four guys lowered a paralyzed man down through the roof (that’s a whole other story). Clearly, they hoped that Jesus would heal their friend. After all, Jesus has already healed a lot of other people.


But instead of healing the man straight off, Jesus first said to the man, “My son, your sins are forgiven.” Well, that didn’t sit well with the religious bigwigs, and for good reason – only God can forgive sins, after all. 


Jesus knew what the religious bigwigs were thinking. “I know, talk is cheap,” he said. “Anybody can say, ‘Your sins are forgiven.’ But let me prove that I have the authority to do on earth what can only be done in heaven.” Then he healed the man of his paralysis! 


Wow! There are no words to capture my amazement at this man, Jesus.


I’m thinking about what Jesus said. “My son, your sins are forgiven.” I recall some of the songs that David wrote long, long ago, and I see in Jesus the forgiveness that David seeks from God:


Blessed are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned. Blessed is the one whose sin the Lord does not count against him.”


Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion, blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from all my sins.”


As far as the east is from the west, so far has God removed our transgressions from us.”


As I walk with Jesus, I wonder, Can he really give me what my heart truly needs? I long for the forgiveness that only God can give. My heart won’t find rest or peace until I know that I am forgiven. Can Jesus do that for me?


Apparently, he can. Apparently, he does.


Jesus, my friend, in my walk with you I look to you for many things – happiness, purpose, meaning in life, health. Now I know that I can look to you for the most deep need I have. Forgive me, cleanse me. Create in me a clean heart, and renew a right spirit within me. Amen.








2 comments:

  1. Amen! These Lenten devotionals are so meaningful and the perfect way to begin my day. Thank you, Steve!

    ReplyDelete