Monday, February 26, 2024

The Company He Keeps

 


The Company He Keeps (Mark 2:13-17)


[The Pharisees] said, ‘How can he stand it, to eat with such scum?’” – Mark 2:16

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It was a fairly raucous evening at dinner that night. Not surprising, given those who had come to eat with Jesus. The people who were gathered in the house weren’t exactly the kind of people I would expect to see around Jesus – money lenders, thieves, prostitutes, and the like. General undesirables. 

Even Levi the tax collector was there. Earlier in the day, Jesus had personally invited Levi to walk with him and to be part of his following. I wouldn’t believe it if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes. There we were, walking along the road. Levi was at his tax booth, gouging every denarius he could from good, hard-working people. Jesus stopped and yelled out, “Hey Levi, come along with me, why don’t you?”

I was aghast. Really, Jesus? Levi? I mean, Levi is the reason my parents lost the family farm. What kind of people will Jesus let into this great movement he is starting?

While we were having dinner, the scribes of the Pharisees came and saw who all were gathering. These men were part of the religious leadership – their opinions were important, especially in matters regarding God’s law. The look of disgust on their faces made me want to hide. I didn’t want to be seen with this kind of crowd, so I kept my head down and turned away from the door so the scribes couldn’t see me.

I heard the contempt in their voice as they spoke accusingly to Jesus’ disciples: “What kind of example is this, acting cozy with the misfits? How can he stand it, to eat with such scum?”

Then I heard Jesus as he turned and spoke to the scribes. “Sick people are the ones who go to the doctor, not those who are well. I have come, not to call those who are righteous, but those who are sinners.” 

When I heard what Jesus said, my embarrassment at the group gathered in the house turned into shame at my own prejudice. Of course, Jesus would attract “sinners” to him, because they need what Jesus has to offer them. They need acceptance. They need to be told they are loved. They need forgiveness. They need to be treated with compassion, not disdain. Jesus has healed all sorts of sick people. Why not also heal those with another kind of sickness?

I remember something from the lessons I learned in the synagogue long ago, lessons about how everyone is sinful, not just the ones like the people in the room with Jesus. Words from our Scriptures come back to me:

There is no one righteous, not even one;
     there is no one who understands;
    there is no one who seeks God.
All have turned away,
    they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good,
    not even one.”

I realize that the “sinners” Jesus came to call to him – I am one of them. And so are the scribes, if they are honest with themselves. Suddenly, I am glad to be in the same room with Jesus and all these outcasts. I am honored to share the table with Jesus, and I am grateful that Jesus chooses to keep company with anybody who needs him.

Literally, anybody.

Dear Jesus, as I walk with you, open my eyes, so that I can see people, not through the lens of condemnation and judgment, but with compassion and grace. In my walk with you, show me how to welcome the outcasts with your love.

2 comments:

  1. So true and beautifully expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Open our eyes and heart lord love and trust you .

    ReplyDelete