Tuesday, April 7, 2020

A Prayer for Healing... from Sin

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
     and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me away from your presence
     or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation
     and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
Then I will teach transgressors your ways, 
     so that sinners will turn back to you.
(Psalm 51:10-13)





Merciful and gracious God,
I have been so focused during this season
on one disease: COVID-19.
And with good reason, 
for the coronavirus has turned our world
upside down.
People around the world are dying from the disease,
thousands every day.
Our best science cannot cure it;
our best science simply says
that we should stay in our homes,
  and wash hands,
    and wear masks.

And so, with good reason,
my prayers have sought healing from COVID-19
and from the effects of the pandemic:
Heal your people, O God.

But there’s another disease to consider, O Lord,
Especially this time of the year,
in the days we refer to as Holy Week.
It’s a disease with one hundred percent infection
and one hundred percent mortality.

There’s a name for this disease, O Lord:

SIN.

I have the disease, Lord;
I have had it all my life;
and I cannot cure myself.

I can try to hide the effects of this disease
from people around me:
  I do good things,
  I help people,
  I show compassion to others.

I can put on a good show.

Omniscient God from whom nothing is hidden,
  you know I have the disease;
  you know I am a sinner;
  you know the corruption of my heart.

I cannot hide my heart from you, O Lord.
  You know my sins.
  You know my secrets.
  You know the things that taint and corrupt 
       the beauty of your image in me.

But then, as I remember your Son this week:
  betrayed
    denied – three times
      arrested and tortured,
        abandoned – by his friends, and by you 
          crucified – for me, 
                         and for every other sinner before me
                         and for every sinner alongside me
                         and for every sinner after me.

And so I know that there is a cure for my disease.
It’s not a cure I can conjure;
it’s a gift from you.

Thank you.

I cannot hide my heart from you, O Lord.
But I can give it to you:
Take me as I am, but do not leave me this way, I pray.
Take me, and wash me, 
    that I may be made clean and pure.
Take me, and purge from me 
    those things that have corrupted my being.
Take me, and make me a new creation.

Create in me a pure heart, O God, 
    for the sake of your glory and grace.

Heal me, I pray, of my sin.

Amen.



During the season of Lent, I am "Praying with David," using prayers from the psalms as inspiration for personal prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment