Wednesday, April 8, 2020

I Was in the Upper Room

Even my bosom friend in whom I trusted,
    who ate of my bread, 
    has lifted the heel against me.
(Psalm 41:9)




On this day, O Jesus, I come to you with heavy heart.
I will go up with you from Bethany to Jerusalem,
and I will gather with you at the table
in the upper room.

On this day, O Jesus, I will hear you say,
"Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me – 
one who is eating with me."
And I will say, along with all the others
who gather at the table with you,
"Surely you don’t mean me?"

On this day, O Jesus, I will hear you say,
"You will all fall away, for it is written,
      ‘I will strike the shepherd,
          and the sheep will be scattered.’"
And I will boldly bluster with bravado, as did Peter,
"Even if all fall away, I will not."

I know, Jesus, 
I wasn’t in the upper room all those years ago.
But still, I can see myself in the disciples.
I, like them, am a broken sinner,
prone to the temptation of greed and glory,
weak against opposition,
apt to crumble under pressure.

"Even my bosom friend in whom I trusted,
     who ate of my bread,
     has lifted his heel against me."

I, Lord – even I – am that bosom friend.
My heart breaks at my weakness.

And yet 
(there are those amazing words again: "And yet")
knowing the treachery,
knowing the abandonment,
knowing the denial,
still you invite us – me – to your table.

     "Take, eat. This is my body."

     "Drink from it, all of you. 
      This is my blood of the covenant,
      which is poured out for many
      for the forgiveness of sins."

You knew, Lord. 
You knew how your people would fail you.
And yet you loved us just the same.
And you opened the way for us,
for our forgiveness
and our salvation.

On this day, O Jesus, I will receive the gift 
of your body and your blood
to nourish my soul
and to renew in me a right and steadfast spirit.

On this day, O Jesus,
you have answered my weakness
with your grace and mercy.
I am humbled.
I am grateful.
I am yours.
Amen.




During the season of Lent, I am "Praying with David," using prayers from the psalms as inspiration for personal prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment