Monday, April 6, 2020

A Prayer for the Unwillingly Isolated

Where can I go from your Spirit? 
     Where can I flee from your presence? 
If I go up to the heavens, you are there; 
     if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. 
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, 
     if I settle on the far side of the sea, 
even there your hand will guide me, 
     your right hand will hold me fast. 
If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me 
     and the light become night around me,”
even the darkness will not be dark to you; 
     the night will shine like the day, 
     for darkness is as light to you.
(Psalm 139:7)



O God, since it is true that there is nowhere
that you are not;
and since it is true that no darkness 
can hide any of us from you;
and since it is true that wherever we are,
there you are also – 

Today I pray for those whom the pandemic
has closed off from companionship:
  for patients in hospitals, 
          where no visitors are allowed
  for residents of nursing facilities, 
          where no visitors are allowed
  for people in self-quarantine, 
          where no visitors are allowed
  for the incarcerated, 
          where no visitors are allowed
  for those sick with other conditions, 
          and visitors are not allowed.

It must be a living hell of loneliness, O God,
for those who are not allowed visitors, companionship.
They have no one to tell them it will be okay.
They have no one to hold their hand.
They have no one to comfort them.

So today I pray for those whom the pandemic
has closed off from companionship.

You can visit them, O Lord.
You can fill them with your presence,
  and let them know that they are not alone.
You can calm their fears 
  by giving them your peace.
You can assure them that you will heal them.
You can whisper into their spirit,
"Never will I leave you nor forsake you."

Will you do that, Lord?
Will you assure them that they are not alone?
Will you comfort them?
Will you heal them?

Will you say to them, 
"Peace I give to you. My peace I give to you;
not as the world gives do I give unto you.
Let not your heart be troubled;
neither let it be afraid"?

Will you please let them know how much you love them,
and that there is nothing in all this world
that can take your love away from them?

Will you do that, Lord?
Please?
Will you visit those whom the pandemic
has closed off from companionship?

I know you will, because that’s 
the kind of God you are.
You do care.
And you are able.
And you are present.
Always.

Today I pray for those whom the pandemic
has closed off from companionship.
Amen.



During the season of Lent I am “Praying with David,” using prayers from the psalms as inspiration for personal prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment