Thursday, April 2, 2020

And Yet...

In peace I will lie down and sleep,
    for you alone, Lord,
    make me dwell in safety.
(Psalm 4:8)




Another day has passed, O God.
Another sunrise and sunset in the books.
Another day in the world of pandemic:
  To date, more than one million cases of COVID-19
    worldwide – and that just includes confirmed cases.*
  To date, nearly 53,000 people – your children – 
    have died. Again, that just includes confirmed cases.
  6.6 million people filed unemployment claims
    last week in the United States, 
    double from the previous week.
  The models predicting death tolls project more and more 
    every day.

Another day in the new normal:
  terrifying
  confusing
  mind-boggling
  overwhelming
  lonely
  numbing
  frustrating
  …

And yet.
My faith always includes these words: And yet.
Because my faith is in you.

It has been another day in the pandemic.
It has been another day of roller-coaster emotions.
It has been another day of unbearable uncertainty.

And yet, 
I have been filled with your peace;
I have witnessed your goodness; 
I have been assured of your presence;
I have a deep, abiding sense of hope;
I have felt your compassion, and mercy, and love.

Because I can say “And yet...”
and you are the subject of the verbs
  of hope,
  and comfort,
  and assurance,
then I will rest in peace tonight.

The chaos and troubles of the day
will always meet their match in you.

No matter what comes my way,
no matter the obstacles I face,
no matter the challenges that confront me,
I will say, “And yet, God...”

And I know all will be well.

In peace I will lie down in sleep,
     for you alone, Lord,
     make me dwell in safety.

Because at the end of the day,
I can always confess my faith:
And yet, God...”
And therein I will find peace.
Your peace.
Amen. And good night.



*Figures cited from statistics posted on April 2, 2020. They are changing daily, and not for the better at the time of this blog post.

During the season of Lent, I am "Praying with David," using prayers found in the psalms as inspiration for personal prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment