Thursday, April 9, 2020

Father, into Your Hands I Commit My Spirit

Into your hands I commit my spirit;
    deliver me, Lord, my faithful God.
(Psalm 31:5)




My heart aches on this day, O God,
as I think about the agony of your Son.
He was despised and rejected
by people not unlike me. 
He was oppressed and afflicted,
again, because of people like me.

He was subjected to the greatest agony 
he could ever experience, 
when you turned your back on him:
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

He watched his mother watch him die;
no one should ever have to experience that horror, but he did.

O God, forgive me, 
for it was my sin, and the sin of the whole world,
that was placed upon Jesus.

He did not deserve any of the torture or punishment he endured.
He did not deserve it, but he endured it just the same,
because of us (myself included), 
and also for us (myself included).

The agony he experienced
was for the fulfillment of your plan
for the salvation of the world.
He endured the cross,
and every cruel thing that came with it,
because “it is written.”

And at the end, he said unto you,
Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.”

He lived and died, O God, completely trusting in you.
But for that one moment  in his cry of dereliction,
he had always experienced perfect fellowship with you.
Even in his cry of abandonment,
he did not fail to trust you.

And his last words before he breathed his last,
Father into your hands I commit my spirit.”

Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.
When I witness Jesus, who only wanted 
to be faithful to you, even unto death,
I want the same for my life.

Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.
I rest in you, 
for you are righteous and just,
and you are gracious and compassionate,
and you are faithful and true;
there is no shadow of turning with thee.

Your Son has shown me the way:
the way of the cross, to deny myself,
the way of the cross, to give myself for others,
the way of the cross, to show my love for others
the way of the cross, to forgive others,
the way of the cross, to be faithful to you.

Your Son has shown me the way,
and I want to live like him.

Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.
Amen.



During the season of Lent, I am "Praying with David," using prayers from the psalms as inspiration for personal prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment