Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Remember that You Are Dust

“...for dust you are, and to dust you will return.”
(Genesis 3:19)

The Necropolis -- literally, "City of the Dead" -- in Glasgow, Scotland, UK



A Prayer for Ash Wednesday

“Remember that you are dust, and to dust you will return.”

These are the words of the day, O Lord. These are the words that invite me to reflect on my mortality, my sinfulness, my need for a Savior.

Oh, I remember. I really do.

Every time I let someone down, I remember that I am dust.
Every time I think impure thoughts, I remember that I am dust.
Every time I withhold kindness out of fear, I remember that I am dust.
Every time I fail to seek justice, and love kindness, and walk humbly with you, I remember that I am dust.
Every time I look suspiciously and fearfully upon people who are of a different race or culture, I remember that I am dust.
Every time I judge another person to be unworthy or of lesser value because of their particular manifestations of their sinfulness (which I, conveniently, don't manifest in my own life), I remember that I am dust.

Every time I fall short of loving you with my whole heart, soul, mind, and strength -- and loving my neighbor as myself -- I remember that I am dust.
Frankly, O Lord, every time I breathe, think, speak, act, I should remember that I am dust.

For dust I am, and to dust I will return.

I remember that I am dust. I really do.

But I also remember that you don't treat me as my sins deserve, nor do you repay me according to my iniquity;
for as high as the heavens are above the earth, that's how much you love me; and as far as the east is from the west, that's how far you have removed my sins from me.

I also remember that you broke bread, and shared the cup.
And you told me that the bread was your body, given for me;
and the cup was your blood, shed for the forgiveness of my sin.

I also remember that when you hung on the cross, you said “Father, forgive them...”

I remember that I am dust. That's what the ashes are for.

But I also remember that you do not leave me in the dust, for you come to me in love.  That's why the ashes form the sign of the cross.

So I remember, O Lord. I really do.

Thank you for the reminders.

Amen.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Steve......your words, as usual, give me pause for thought and introspection!

    ReplyDelete