Thursday, March 21, 2024

Childlike Simplicity

 


Childlike Simplicity (Mark 10:13-16)


Unless you accept God’s kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you’ll never get in.” (Mark 10:15)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Not long after Jesus told us about how to be great in his kingdom – to be the servant of all, and to show holy hospitality to the weak and vulnerable ones, like children – we were sitting in the town square, and people brought their children to Jesus so he could bless them. But the disciples thought Jesus had more important things to do than to bless little children, so they shooed the children away. Jesus would have none of this attitude from his disciples. With an expression of anger on his face and in his voice he told his disciples, “Let the little children come to me! Don’t stop them, because the kingdom of God belongs to such as they.” Then Jesus turned and told all of us who were nearby, “Take this to heart: Unless you accept God’s kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you will never get in.”


That encounter taught me at least two things about what it means to walk with Jesus. First, I was reminded of how quickly we forget and fail to take to heart the ways of Jesus. I mean, in a matter of a couple of days the disciples had forgotten what Jesus said about welcoming children. One day Jesus was telling us to be gracious toward those who are dependent on others for their wellbeing, and the next day, literally, some are doing the exact opposite thing. It made me realize that it takes great intentionality to put Jesus’ words into action. Walking with Jesus is more than just hearing and understanding him; it is working diligently to change our hearts and our ways, putting into practice everything he teaches us.


The second thing this encounter with the children impressed on my heart is that Jesus requires all who walk with him to do so with childlike simplicity. It makes me think of the wide-eyed awe and wonder that children have when they encounter new things. And for the youngest toddlers, everything is new, so they embrace it all with excitement and wholeheartedly. A child so innocently trusts his parents. It is so natural for a little one to reach up and hold her mother’s hand when walking along the streets. A child’s instinct when encountering danger is to run into her father’s arms. Children, in their innocence, embrace strangers, and they don’t categorize others as “unclean,” or “righteous.” In the eyes and minds of a little child, everyone is worthy of their love.


Unless we are like little children, Jesus said, we won’t enter his kingdom. I hear his words as an invitation for me to be like a child again – to shed the cynicism I have learned over the years, to cast off my tendency to complicate issues with nuanced questions, to re-learn how to trust those I love. Oh, how I would love to stop relying on my own schemes and designs for my life, and instead embrace Jesus with simplicity and with childlike awe and wonder and unquestioning obedience.


Oh, to learn to walk like a child again, stumbling my way into Jesus’ open arms!



Dear Jesus, I have made my faith more complicated than it needs to be. Help me to walk with you in the same innocent simplicity as that of a child. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment