Friday, March 8, 2024

How Long, Lord? How Long?

 


How Long, Lord? How Long? (Mark 6:14-29)

The king sent the executioner off to the prison with orders to bring back John’s head.” (Mark 6:27)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Meanwhile, the world around us keeps on going its own way, often seemingly out of control. I get so caught up in walking with Jesus, that I forget that there’s a whole world beyond us, and it’s full of its own troubles. 


Roman tyranny rules the day. Take Herod, for example. He’s a very powerful man, and he chooses play games with people’s lives. He had John the Baptist arrested because John called him out about marrying his brother’s wife. Threw him in prison. 


John was a curiosity to Herod. Herod knew John was popular among the people and was a big deal on the religion front, so Herod gave John special treatment. From time to time he would bring John out and listen to him. It was weird – John made Herod feel guilty, but he still couldn’t stay away from John. John had this strange pull on Herod.


Then one night, on Herod’s birthday, Herodias took advantage of a rash promise Herod made in front of everyone and manipulated him to make him order the beheading of John the Baptist. Herod knew he had been forced into a corner, and he couldn’t get out without ruining his reputation, so he did it. He ordered the death of John.


Like I said, “Meanwhile…” Even though Jesus is doing amazing things, much of the world continues down its own trajectory, propelled by evil, greed, hunger for power. 


I have been paying so much attention to my walk with Jesus that I have forgotten how rotten and evil some people can be. I wonder, What kind of world do we inhabit, where evil tyrants can go about their business without any resistance or accountability? How can corruption and injustice continue unchecked? Again, I remember the ancient words of our people, “The scepter of the wicked will not remain over the land allotted to the righteous” (Psalm 125:3), but people like Herod and Herodias make me wonder if that’s really true. Because the scepter of the wicked still feels pretty heavy. 


I feel like joining the chorus of people who have cried out, “How long, Lord? How Long?”


It makes me question whether Jesus will make a real difference in the world. I mean, he does make a difference in my life, and in the lives of everyone he has healed. His teaching does make us think about living in a different way. To those who have received him, he has given the privilege of becoming children of God, citizens of God’s kingdom.


And that, I realize, is how Jesus will make a difference: one person at a time. Each heart that embraces Jesus is a changed heart. Instead of despairing over the upper hand that evil seems to have in our world, my walk with Jesus has convinced me beyond any doubt that Jesus is exactly who our world needs. Jesus really is the answer to sin, evil, injustice, tyranny. 


Jesus really does make all the difference in the world. But he does it by changing one heart at a time.



Dear Jesus, let me not despair over the seeming upper hand that evil has in this world. Instead, help me and all who have chosen to walk with you to proclaim you faithfully. Help us to make you known, because against you, evil doesn’t stand a chance. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. God be with us to guide and heal our world . Trust in him . Prayers and love ❤️.

    ReplyDelete