Monday, March 18, 2024

Listen to Jesus

 


Listen to Jesus (Mark 9:1-13)

...a voice from the cloud said, ‘This is my Son. Listen to him.’” (Mark 9:7)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~



A few days after Jesus totally confused us by telling us that the Son of Man would suffer and be killed, and that any who would follow him must lose their lives in order to find real life, Jesus took three of his disciples – Peter, James, and John – up to a mountain. I didn’t get to see what happened on the mountain, but the three who did witness it told of something pretty amazing. 


Evidently, while they were on the mountain, Jesus’ appearance suddenly changed. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became brilliantly white. As if that wasn’t amazing enough, out of nowhere Moses and Elijah appeared, standing with Jesus and talking with him! Peter, James, and John were awestruck. Peter said something about building three booths – one each for Moses, Elijah, and Jesus. 


Then a cloud covered all of them, and Peter, James, and John heard a voice coming from the cloud, saying, “This is my Son. Listen to him.”


Then, as quickly as it started, it was over. Moses and Elijah were gone. It was just Jesus and his three disciples once again. Jesus told them not to say anything about what they had seen until after the Son of Man has risen from death.


So, obviously Peter, James and John told us about what they had seen. Nobody has been able to keep quiet about anything regarding Jesus.


I replayed the account in my mind over and over. Moses and Elijah, the two great figures of Israel that represent God’s Law and the prophets – their appearance couldn’t be coincidental. Peter obviously recognized that when he suggested that he build three booths to honor the occasion. Peter rightfully put Jesus right up there with Moses and Elijah.


But there’s more to it than that, I think. Jesus is more than simply a peer of Moses and Elijah. Maybe that’s why the voice from the cloud – clearly, the voice of God – spoke and singled out Jesus: “This is my Son. Listen to him.” The more I think about it, the more I begin to realize that everything in God’s Law and the Prophets regarding Messiah and God’s plan for God’s kingdom were pointing to Jesus. He is the One of whom Moses had spoken when he said another would come after him. He is the One through whom all the messianic visions of the new heaven and new earth would come to pass.


In my mind, the affirmation of God’s voice – This is my Son, listen to him – confirms the fact that Jesus is not equal with Moses and Elijah, rather, he supersedes them. It’s not as if I don’t need to pay attention to God Law and the Prophets, though; it’s just that if I really want to understand them in all their fulness, I need to listen to Jesus.


I also realize that God’s affirmation of Jesus comes to all of us at just the right time. I mean, Jesus has been saying some really hard and bewildering things, like predicting his death, telling us that the way to life is to lose our lives and carry our cross every day. The fact that God says of Jesus, “listen to him,” encourages me to stick with Jesus, because Jesus is the One who will reveal all of God’s truth to me.

In my walk with Jesus, sometimes the only clarity I get is that I have to trust him. I think that’s what it means to listen to him – to trust him. Even when things are confusing. Especially when things are confusing.



Dear Jesus, I am so glad to know that I don’t have to wonder about where to turn for truth, because you are truth incarnate. Help me, I pray, to hear your voice among the myriad of voices that clamor for my attention and loyalty, and to listen to you. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment