Saturday, March 23, 2024

Greatness in the Way of Jesus (Redux)

 


Greatness in the Way of Jesus (redux) – Mark 10:35-45


We want to sit on the thrones next to yours in your Kingdom,” said James and John to Jesus, “one at your right and the other at your left.” (Mark 10:35-45)


~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Ever since the moment when we realized that Jesus is the Messiah, I’ve noticed something different, especially among the twelve disciples. It seems like they are more interested in rank and privilege that come with being part of Jesus’ kingdom. Just a few days ago, they were arguing about who among them was the greatest, and Jesus rebuked them by telling them that greatness in his kingdom comes only with humble servanthood. I thought everyone came away with a new understanding of how we should pursue greatness; at least, I came away with a better sense of it.


And then this morning, James and John had the nerve to pull Jesus aside and ask Jesus to sit them on the thrones next to Jesus’ throne in his kingdom! When the rest of the disciples heard about this, they were livid with James and John. I suspect that their anger was more because James and John beat them to the punch in asking for the positions of privilege and power, than because James and John still didn’t understand about greatness in Jesus’ kingdom.


Jesus pulled them all together and spoke to them. “You know how the kings and great men of the earth lord it over the people, ruling them with a heavy hand and using their authority for their own advantage,” he said. “But that’s not the way it is in my kingdom. Whoever wants to be great among you must become your servant. I’ll say it again – Whoever wants to be first must be the slave of all. For even the Son of man did not come to be served, but to serve, and togive his life as a ransom for many.”


I was a bit chapped at the disciples for their bickering about power and glory. But as I was thinking about this incident, I realize that I, too, need to hear Jesus’ words about being a servant. Part of me has had this sense that everything in Jesus’ kingdom would be smooth sailing, that I could finally take it easy, that maybe somehow I could attain to some position where people would tend to my needs.


If I want to be great (for who doesn’t aspire to some form of greatness?), I need to look to the greatest one of all in the kingdom – to Jesus himself. And Jesus’ greatness does not come from his throwing his weight around and bullying people with his authority. No, his greatness comes in the countless ways he gives himself for others. In some strange way, Jesus sees everyone as more important than himself. Jesus did not come so that others would serve his needs; no, he came so that he could serve the needs of others – of everyone.


I realize that there’s no “taking it easy” in Jesus’ kingdom. Nobody gets to sit on the throne and bark orders at everyone else. The way to the highest status in the kingdom is through humble service of others. That is the way of Jesus. And that is the way of everyone who wants to walk with Jesus.



Dear Jesus, please forgive me when I get caught up in the notions of greatness and prestige that the world tries to sell to me. As I walk with you, I pray that every day you will help me to reset my focus on the greatness to which I should truly aspire – to offer myself into the service of everyone whom you put in my path. Amen.

1 comment: