Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Don't Stumble


Don’t Stumble. (Mark 9:42-50)

If anyone should cause one of these little ones to lose faith in me, it would be better for that person to have a large millstone tied around the neck and be thrown into the sea.” (Mark 9:42)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~



That same night when Jesus had the little child stand in our midst so that Jesus could help us understand the meaning of greatness in his kingdom, he also pointed to that same child and said, “If anyone should cause one of these little ones to lose faith in me, it would be better for that person to have a large millstone tied around the neck and be thrown into the sea.” Then Jesus went on to tell us that if our hand causes us to sin, or to lose faith, then we should cut it off. Same for foot or eye – if one of them causes us to sin or lose faith, then off with it! Jesus’ reasoning was that it is better to go to heaven maimed than to have all of our limbs and both eyes intact but in the fires of hell.


Whoa! That was harsh!


I stayed awake that night, trying to make sense of what Jesus said. Obviously, Jesus wasn’t being literal. He didn’t really want us to engage in self-amputations. Jesus was making a point (and what a point he made!). Jesus wants us to take very seriously anything that threatens our faith and especially the faith of innocent young people. We need to stop bad influences quickly, before they can get a foothold and cause us to stop walking with Jesus. I recall the words that God spoke to Cain early in the first book of Moses: “If you do not do well, sin is lurking at the door; its desire is for you, but you must master it.” And I also remember how it turned out for Cain when he failed to heed God’s instruction.


In my walk with Jesus, it is critical that I beware of anything that might cause me to turn away, because before I know it, I can lose sight of Jesus altogether. I have to take seriously anything that threatens my walk with Jesus.


I also have to take very seriously anything I say or do that may threaten anyone else’s walk with Jesus. I realize that others are watching me as I walk with Jesus. What I do and what I say matters. As someone who walks with Jesus, the things I do and the things I say are supposed to bear witness to who Jesus is and the impact that Jesus makes on my life. If I say something that is out of character with the character of Jesus, then it may make some say to themselves, “Why would I want to follow Jesus, if that’s the way Jesus’ followers behave.” God forbid that I act in such a way that my actions and words tarnish and stain Jesus’ reputation in the eyes of those who are watching me.


God forbid that any of us act in ways that our actions and words tarnish and stain Jesus’ reputation in the eyes of those who are watching us.


In my walk with Jesus, I need to be aware of things that may make me stumble off of his path. Even the smallest thing that causes me or someone else to stray from Jesus is something I have to take seriously. Very seriously.



Dear Jesus, the path on which I walk with you is the path of life. Help me, every day, to be faithful to you in my walk – in everything I do, everything I say, even everything I think. I know that even the smallest thing that I do can have tremendous consequences and threaten my walk with you. Even more, I know that my failure to represent you faithfully in the way I live can cause others to turn away from you. Help me, I pray, to stay the course with you, not just for my sake, but for the sake of everyone for whom my life bears witness to you. Amen.




1 comment:

  1. Amen thank you teach me thy way a lord .

    ReplyDelete