Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Greatness in the Way of Jesus

 


Greatness in the Way of Jesus (Mark 9:33-37)

So you want first place? Then take the last place. Be the servant of all.” (Mark 9:35)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~



We have a lot of time on our hands while we’re walking with Jesus, plenty of time to think about the things Jesus says and does. On our way to Capernaum, we were talking among ourselves, while Jesus walked ahead of us. The subject of which among us was most important and greatest came up. Peter, James, and John all thought they must be most important because Jesus took them with him up to the mountain where they encountered Moses and Elijah, and where they heard the voice of God. John boasted, “Well, I’m the one Jesus loves most, so obviously I’m the greatest.” Peter said, “Oh yeah? Well Jesus told me that I was the rock on which he would build is church, whatever that means. So I must be the greatest.” It went on and on, other disciples putting their own names forward as the greatest. 


Looking back, it wasn’t our best moment.


Well, Jesus must have heard that we were having a lively discussion, so when we got settled in Capernaum for the night he looked at us and asked us, “What were you arguing about while we were on the road?” His question was met with silence. Nobody wanted to admit that we were arguing about who among us is the greatest. We didn’t answer him.


In a tone that was a mixture of chiding and concern, Jesus said, “Anyone who wants to be greatest must put themselves last. They must be servants of all.” Then he looked at one of the little children who lived in the house where we were gathered, and he asked the child to stand. “You see this little child? Whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name is welcoming me; and not only are they welcoming me, but they are also welcoming God, who sent me.”


End of lesson.


Later that evening I was thinking about what Jesus said (After all, hadn’t the voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him”?). Everyone wants to be considered great. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. I think it’s in our nature to crave importance, to want to rise to the top. And yet, greatness for those who walk with Jesus isn’t a matter of rising to the top, but to sink to the bottom.


Those who desire to be very important people in the kingdom where Jesus reigns as Messiah must adopt the attitude of a servant, and must be willing to welcome and serve even those who cannot give us something in return for our service. 


Something else Jesus said struck me. He said that to welcome someone like a vulnerable little child who can do nothing on his or her own but must depend on others to be responsible for his or her wellbeing – well, that’s the same as welcoming Jesus himself. Not only that, but if we’re welcoming Jesus, we’re also welcoming God, who sent Jesus into the world.


Greatness in Jesus’ world consists of humble service, gracious hospitality, tending to those who are most vulnerable and dependent on the goodness and generosity of others. Greatness in Jesus’ world, I have come to realize more and more as I walk with Jesus, is achieved in the way I see Jesus in others and then embrace them as I would embrace Jesus himself.


I want to be great in Jesus’ kingdom. I’m not ashamed to say that I want to be great. 



Dear Jesus, nurture within me a spirit of humility, that I may become a servant for everyone I encounter this day. Amen.

1 comment: