Monday, March 4, 2024

The Conundrum of Miracles

 


The Conundrum of Miracles (Mark 5:21-24, 35-43)

One of the meeting-place leaders named Jairus came. When he saw Jesus, he fell to his knees, beside himself as he begged, ‘My dear daughter is at death’s door. Come and lay hands on her so she will get well and live.’ Jesus went with him…” (Mark 5:22-23)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

When I am walking with Jesus day by day my mind will, at some time or another, reflect on the nature of miracles. Ever since Jesus came on the scene, I have watched him heal many, many people. Some of the instances of healing are spectacular, and clearly miraculous, such as when Jesus healed the paralytic man, or when Jesus restored to madman to complete sanity. 


There was another miracle I witnessed, and it eclipses all the others. Jesus actually revived a little girl who had died. A man named Jairus went to Jesus when his daughter was at death’s doorstep, and he begged Jesus to come and heal his daughter. Jesus went with Jairus, but while they were on the way to Jairus’ house, they got word that the little girl had died. Still, Jesus insisted that they continue to Jairus’ house. When they arrived, Jesus – along with Jairus and his wife, Peter, James, and John – went into the little girl’s room. Jesus went to the little girl’s body, took her hand, and said, “Little girl, get up!” And she did! She got up and started walking around! She was alive again!


My heart is happy for people who experience miracles from the Lord. 


But I also know that not everyone who begs the Lord for a miracle gets one. I remember the story of King David earnestly praying that his sick son would not die. David wouldn’t eat or drink or do anything but pray, pray, pray for his son to live. But his son did not live. David did not get the miracle he had asked for.


I realize that when we pray for people to be healed, there will always be one time when God will answer our prayers by telling us “No,” because eventually all of us die.


Miracles, wonderful as they are, are not guaranteed. Nor is the failure to receive a miracle a sign that our faith is too weak, or that God doesn’t love us as much as God loves those who get the miracle. 


Whether we receive a miracle or not, I don’t think that our prayers to the Lord are made in vain. I remember how Jairus earnestly and desperately threw himself at Jesus’ feet; Jairus’ example reminds me to bring my needs to Jesus wholeheartedly. I remember that Jesus stopped what he was doing and went with Jairus; and I see in Jesus’ response to Jairus the promise that our Lord is never too busy for us, never unwilling to shift his focus onto us and our needs.


When I consider the vastness of the universe, and the fact that when I cry out to the Lord, the Lord hears me and comes to me, I realize that maybe the real miracle is not so much whether we get that for which we ask. Maybe the real miracle is that the God of the universe hears me and comes to me in my time of trouble.


I love it when miracles happen. Really, I do. But I also love the Lord even when he doesn’t give the miracle.



Dear Jesus, your miracles are a beautiful thing to behold. They really are. But I also know that not everyone receives the miracles for which they earnestly pray. I ask two things of you, Lord: Let me not stop praying for miracles though I know they are rare; and give to me a sense of peace that every answer to every prayer is the result of your steadfast love, your endless compassion, and your infinite wisdom. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you god for your love and guidance . Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always uplifting to read these messages.

    ReplyDelete