Monday, March 26, 2018

Praying the Passion, Part 2 - "Today You Will Be with Me in Paradise"

Jesus answered [the second criminal crucified alongside him], "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."- Luke 23:43






My Lenten discipline has been to write a prayer for each of the 40 days of Lent. The last seven prayers center on the seven last sayings of Jesus uttered from the cross. Today's prayer is based on the second saying.

"Today You Will Be with Me in Paradise"

From the foot of the cross I can see you, Lord.
And I can hear you. I can hear every word you say.

I heard what you said to the criminal crucified at your side:
"Today you will be with me in paradise."

Are you kidding, Lord?
Don't you know what he did?
Don't you know the evil he did?
There's a reason he's hanging on the cross, you know.
He's bad. Real bad.

Are you really going to forgive him, just because he asked:
"Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."?
Is that all it takes?

Then I remember that you once said, 
"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you."

And you also said, 
"...I have come not to call the righteous, but sinners."

And most your most famous words of all:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

So maybe you meant it, after all.
Maybe the criminal's faith was enough for your forgiveness.
Maybe all he needed to do, is ask in faith. 
Maybe your forgiveness even extends
  to the really bad people, too.

Maybe your work on the cross
  covers all sins. 
Every.one.of.them.
Including my sins.

Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment