Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Running on Empty

Jesus said, "Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them." (John 7:37-38)



Running on Empty

I'm spent, Lord.
In my body, I go through the motions.
On the outside, I feel fine.
But inside, I'm empty.

I thirst, 
not for refreshment for my body,
but for my spirit.

As the deer longs for streams of water,
so my soul thirsts after you, O Lord.

I am thirsty. I come to you, Jesus, 
to drink living water.
Awaken me.
  Refresh me.
    Renew me.
      Fill me.

Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me.

Thank you, Jesus, for your promise.
With the water you give I will never thirst;
indeed, the water you give will become in me
a spring of water welling up to eternal life.

We both know that I'm not talking about literal water, Lord.
What you offer is far greater, far more abundant.
  You offer living water.
    You are Living Water.
      You are what I need.
        You are who I want.

Spring up, O well, within my soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment