Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Soul Food

Why spend money on what is not bread,
    and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
    and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.
    (Isaiah 55:2)





Soul Food

I need a good, healthy diet, Lord.
Not a diet for my body (though that is important, too),
but a diet for my soul.

For I know the sayings:
"You are what you eat." 
"Garbage in, garbage out"

I know I need to stop consuming those things that are detrimental to the health of my soul:
 pride
  envy
   lust
    sloth
   gluttony
  anger
 greed

I want to feed my soul with the food of heaven:
 Love
  Kindness
   Holiness
    Faithfulness
     Mercy
      Compassion
       Truth
        Righteousness
         Justice
          Forgiveness
           Humility
            Grace

Help me, O Lord, to monitor my diet every day.
Help me to feed on that which will make me like you.

No more pursuing food that spoils; 
  feed me with food that endures to eternal life.
No more striving after food that will not satisfy my soul.
No more garbage in, garbage out.

I am what I eat. 

I choose this day to consume what you feed me, O Lord,
  that my soul will delight in heavenly fare.

No comments:

Post a Comment