Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Through the Valley of Dry Bones

[The Lord] said, “Prophesy to the bones. Tell these dry bones to listen to the word of the LordTell them that I, the Sovereign Lord, am saying to them: I am going to put breath into you and bring you back to life. I will give you sinews and muscles, and cover you with skin. I will put breath into you and bring you back to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord.”
(Ezekiel 37:4-6)

An abandoned church in Pittsburgh, PA 



Sometimes people feel like they are spiritually lifeless. They may have given up hope that God can renew them. This prayer is written with them (or you) in mind. Because prayer is two-way conversation, I have also put into words what I believe God says to those who pray through the arid wilderness of their soul.





Through the Valley of Dry Bones

God (if you're even God, or even there, for that matter),
I'm wasted away. Falling apart. Lifeless. Inside of me I feel nothing, except maybe I feel dead. I'm a shell of my former self. I've stopped caring. I've stopped crying. I've stopped caring.

God (if you're even God, or even there, for that matter),
do you even hear me? Do you care? If you do, help me.
Please. Help me.

I'm listening God. Answer me.


"My precious child, I am going to put breath into you and bring you back to life... I am going to put my Spirit in you -- the Spirit of life, and hope, and comfort. Even more, I am going to love you with all my being, if you will only accept my love. 

"My precious child, as you have gone through the valley of the shadow of death, you have not been alone, for I have been with you. Your pain I have felt. Your disappointment I have experienced. Your agony has pierced my heart. 

"My precious child, there is no darkness that can hide you from me. There is no condition you can experience that is beyond redemption, for I have conquered even death. 

"My precious child, I offer you new life. Come to me in your weariness, and I will give you rest. Let me put breath in you, and bring you back to life. Abundant life."

I hear you, Lord. May it be with me according to your word. 
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment