Thursday, March 22, 2018

The Sacredness of the Ordinary

"Do your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God... Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you are serving is Christ."(Colossians 3:23-24, The Message)




The Sacredness of the Ordinary


Most of what I do, O Lord, seems so ordinary.
I have a job, like most people.
I have household responsibilities.
I am a husband, a father, a son, a brother.
I run errands, do yard work.
I do things for fun, as well.
It all seems so ordinary.

But when I realize that I am living for you, O Lord,
then the ordinary becomes extraordinary.
When I am living for you, 
  everything becomes a sacred privilege.
With you, there is holiness in the ordinary.
With you, nothing is meaningless.

So here's what I'm going to do, 
today and every day, with your help:
I'm going to take my everyday, ordinary life -- 
my sleeping, eating, going-to-work and walking-around life --
and I'm going to place it before you as an offering.*

Thank you, O Lord, for making my life something special.
Thank you, for transforming my ordinary, everyday living,
  and making it sacred, holy.


* This sentence is an adaptation of Romans 12:1, as found in The Message, by Eugene Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment