Monday, March 2, 2020

A Prayer on Election Day

Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord,
     the people whom he has chosen for his heritage…
Let thy steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us,
     even as we hope in thee.
(Psalm 33:12, 22 RSV)




It’s “Super Tuesday,” in our land, O God.
But then, you already knew that.
Fourteen states are going to the polls
to elect candidates for office.

I’m going to vote, also.

In the end, O God, it is you whom I trust.
You are my God, no matter who occupies
  the halls of Congress, 
    or the Senate,
      or the Statehouse,
        or the School Board,
          or any other public governing entity.

As I will cast my vote,
my prayer is that those who will be elected
to lead our cities, our states, our nation
will be leaders who love your people
like you love your people.

My prayer is that those who will be elected
  will do justice, 
    love kindness,
      and walk humbly with you.

My prayer is that those who will be elected
will lead with compassion and courage
and with respect for all of their colleagues.

Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord.”
If that is to be true of us in our great land,
then we need to turn our hearts toward you
in humility and repentance,
with an earnest desire to be faithful to you.

No matter the outcome in the primaries,
and later on in the national elections, O God,
it will still be you who are Sovereign
over this nation, and all the world.
That will never change.

Our God is the Lord.
That is fact, truth, ultimate reality.
I pray that all those who govern 
will recognize that fact, 
and make it their purpose to glorify you.

Bless us, O God. Let your steadfast love
be upon us, as we hope in you.

Amen.


During the season of Lent I am "Praying with David," using the prayers found in the psalms as inspiration for personal prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment