Sunday, March 22, 2020

I Went to Church, But It Wasn't the Same

How lovely is your dwelling place, 
     Lord Almighty! 
My soul yearns, even faints, 
     for the courts of the Lord; 
my heart and my flesh cry out 
     for the living God.
Even the sparrow has found a home, 
    and the swallow a nest for herself, 
where she may have her young
     a place near your altar, Lord Almighty, 
     my King and my God. 
Blessed are those who dwell in your house; 
     they are ever praising you.
(Psalm 84:1-4)




I went to church, O Lord.
But it wasn’t the same.
The pews were empty, 
the sanctuary an echo chamber.

I know, we’re supposed to be 
  sequestered
    quarantined
      socially distant.
It’s for our good, for the health of your people.
It is right for us to stay away from each other.
It’s right, 
but it certainly doesn’t feel right.
We need each other, O God.
Your people – your church – we need each other.

Nevertheless, I went to church,
and I prayed,
and I sang,
and I preached. 
But it wasn’t the same.

I miss your people, O God.
I miss my people, my flock.

I know, the sanctuary isn’t my church.
But it becomes my church
when your people gather together
  to worship
    to pray
      to to sing
        to break bread
          to love one another.

My soul yearns, even faints,
     for the courts of the Lord.
Because it’s in the courts of the Lord
where I experience church
with my people, my flock.

I cherish my people enough
to make them stay away
until this virus passes.

But I miss their fellowship,
their friendship,
their encouragement,
their presence.

Blest be the tie that binds
our hearts in Christian love
the fellowship of kindred minds
is like to that above.

Hasten the day, O Lord,
when your people can gather together
once again
  to worship
    to sing
      to pray
        to break bread
          to love one another.

While we are absent 
one from another, O Lord,
please come to us,
abide with us,
fill us with your presence.

If we cannot dwell together
in your house,
please come into our hearts
and dwell with us.

I am confident of this, precious Lord:
I will rejoice in the day
when I can gather with your people – 
with my people, my flock – 
  and worship
    and pray
      and sing
        and break bread
          and love one another.

Blessed are those who dwell
in your house, O Lord.
Amen.



During the season of Lent, I am "Praying with David," using prayers from the psalms as inspiration for personal prayer.

2 comments:

  1. Good words, thanks!

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeff. I appreciated your sermon you posted yesterday. Love the weaving of art with word.

    ReplyDelete