Saturday, March 7, 2020

My First Prayer of the Day

Hear my cry for help,
     my God and my King,
     for to you I pray.
In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;
     in the morning I lay my requests before you
     and wait expectantly.
(Psalm 5:2-3)




It is good, O God, that my first thought each day
should be of you.
When I open my eyes, 
these should be the first words 
to flow through my mind:
Good morning, God.”

Good morning, God.
Thank you for bringing me through another night.
Thank you for the promise of today:
   that you will bless me and keep me,
     and make your face to shine upon me,
       and be gracious unto me;
   that you will will look upon me with your favor
     and grant me peace.

I pray to you for help
this and every day, for I need you.
I cannot make it through one moment,
let alone a whole day,
without your help.

Hear me now, Lord, as I lay my requests before you:
   Let me be faithful to you.
   Let me glorify you by
     the words I say,
       the things I do,
         the ways I care for others,
           even the thoughts of my mind and heart.
   Bless those whom I know, and those I don’t know;
     let them experience the blessings of your love
     and your presence.
   When I stray from your ways
     (and it is most likely that I will, though I don’t mean to),
     I ask two things:
       Convict me in my heart, that I may repent;
       and forgive me.

And now I wait expectantly,
for I know that your blessings will be more abundant
   than the sand at the seashore,
   and the stars in the night sky.
I wait, not idly, but actively.
I'm going to get out of bed and live for you.
I dedicate this day to you.
Amen.




During the season of Lent, I am "Praying with David," using the prayers found in the Psalms as a model and inspiration for my own prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment