Sunday, March 29, 2020

Thank You, Lord, for Listening. And for Answering.

I call on you, my God, for you will answer me; 
     turn your ear to me and hear my prayer. 
Show me the wonders of your great love, 
     you who save by your right hand 
     those who take refuge in you from their foes. 
Keep me as the apple of your eye; 
     hide me in the shadow of your wings.
(Psalm 17:6-8)




O Lord, my God,
you are Sovereign Lord over all the world,
and yet you know me by name.
What joy fills my heart
at the knowledge that
I am precious to you!

I know that not a word I pray,
  not a thought I have,
    not even an un-uttered inner groaning
fails to capture your attention.
Whatever I pray,
however I pray,
you will always answer.

Sometimes your answer is, “Yes.”
Sometimes your answer is, “No.”
Sometimes your answer is, “Trust me.”

But always, you answer me
according to your infinite wisdom
and your steadfast love.

Because you hear my prayers
and answer them,
I continue to cry out to you:
Show me your steadfast love,
protect me from harm,
shelter me in your loving arms.

Thank you, O Lord, for loving me.
Thank you for listening to the cries of my heart.

Thank you.
That is all. No answer required this time.
But still, I know you will.
Because that’s who you are.
Amen.



During the season of Lent, I am "Praying with David," using prayers found in the psalms as inspiration for personal prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment