Monday, March 30, 2020

Seek His Face -- Here, There, and Everywhere

Hear my voice when I call, Lord;
    be merciful to me and answer me.
My heart says of you, “Seek his face!”
    Your face, Lord, I will seek.
(Psalm 27:7-8)




In the morning,
in the evening,
all throughout the day, O God,
I seek you.
Hear my voice when I call, Lord.

My heart says of you, ‘Seek his face!’
     Your face, Lord, I will seek.”

Your face, Lord, I will seek,
for I know that when I seek you,
I will find you.

And when I find you,
I know that I will find
   compassion for my pain,
   mercy for my plight,
   forgiveness for my sins,
   peace for my fears,
   strength to face the day.

Your face, Lord I will seek,
so that I may 
   love you,
   worship you,
   obey you,
   serve you,
   glorify you.

And because I know 
that all my encounters with others 
are also encounters with you
(for as I have done so to the least of these,
so also I have done to you…),
then I will also seek your face
in everyone I encounter today:

Your face, Lord, will I seek in the poor.

Your face, Lord, will I seek in the anxious ones.

Your face, Lord, will I seek in the stranger on the street.

Your face, Lord, will I seek in the children riding their bikes.

Your face, Lord, will I seek in the laid-off worker.

Your face, Lord, will I seek in the the business owner 
          who just shut down.

Your face, Lord, will I seek in the truck driver 
          delivering crucial medical supplies… and TP

Your face, Lord, will I seek in the exhausted doctors and nurses.

I seek your face in them, 
that I might love them as your children.
For so you have sought me
and loved me.

Your face, Lord, I will seek,
so that I may love you
as you have loved me.
Amen.



During the season of Lent, I am “Praying with David,” using prayers from the psalms as inspiration for personal prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment