Monday, March 23, 2020

Through the Valley

Yea, though I walk through the valley 
          of the shadow of death,
     I will fear no evil;
for thou art with me;
     thy rod, and thy staff – 
     they comfort me.
(Psalm 23:4, KJV)





Today, O Lord, I pray for those who are
walking through the valley of the shadow of death.

This plague has forced separation upon us.
This pandemic has closed us off from the world 
and from each other.

When loved ones die, O God,
who can come alongside those who grieve?

When loved ones are alone 
  in nursing homes 
  and hospitals 
  and therapy centers,
who can come alongside them 
in their suffering?

Today, O Lord, I pray for those who are
walking through the valley of the shadow of death,
for those who are in the darkness
of the sorrowful mingling of grief and loneliness.

For we can only be a vocal presence at best,
calling them, trying to comfort them.
And that’s something. Something good, even.
But they need more.
They deserve more.

Have mercy, O Lord.
Pour out your compassion and love upon them.
For you are with them
as they walk through the valley of the shadow of death;
you are with them
in the darkness of lonely grief.

Comfort them, I pray.
Fill them with your peace.
Heal the wounds in their hearts 
with the balm of your steadfast love.

Let them know 
that the Good Shepherd is watching over them,
calling them by name,
seeking those lost in grief,
gathering them in his bosom,
and gently carrying them through the darkness.

Today, O Lord, I pray for those who are
walking through the valley of the shadow of death.
Amen.



During the season of Lent, I am “Praying with David,” using prayers from the psalms as inspiration for personal prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment