Sunday, March 8, 2020

Home Is Where the Heart Is

I long to dwell in your tent forever 
     and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.
(Psalm 61:4)





O God, there is a saying, 
"Home is where the heart is.”
I want my heart to be with you, O Lord,
so that you will be my home.
I want to dwell in your presence.
I want to rest in the assurance
  of your steadfast love,
    and your providential care,
      and your wise direction,
        and your strong protection.

But it’s more up to me than up to you,
because it is a matter of my heart.

My heart must cry out to you, 
"I long to dwell in your tent forever
  and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.”

My heart must steadfastly turn toward you,
forsaking other gods and influences
that would steal me away from you.

My heart must commit to you 
when I awake in the morning,
when I go to sleep at night,
and every moment in between.

It is up to me to make you my dwelling,
  my refuge,
    my hiding place;
for you are already all these things
and so much more,
if only I turn my heart toward you.

Thank you for opening your heart to me;
help me, I pray, to open my heart to you,
that I may embrace you 
and dwell in the shelter of your presence.
Amen.



During Lent, I am "praying with David," using the prayers found in the psalms as inspiration for personal prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment