Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Faith That Declares, "Nevertheless"

But I will hope continually,
    and will praise thee yet more and more.
(Psalm 71:14)





I wonder, O Lord, what these days mean.
The earth is at a standstill,
our world has come to a screeching halt.
People are scared, and with good reason.
An invisible enemy has crippled us,
and the only thing we can do
is withdraw, separate, isolate, quarantine.

I wonder, O Lord, what these days mean.
Restaurants reduced to carry-out,
businesses shuttered,
entire cities closed down,
massive layoffs and sudden unemployment,
leaders struggling to find answers to questions
nobody ever thought would be asked.
Ever.

The pain is real for your children, Lord,
all over the world.
This virus is afflicting sickness and death
upon your people, Lord,
all over the world.

     Grief
     Fear
     Panic
     Despair
     Anguish
     Sleeplessness
     Doubt

These aren’t just words, O God.
These are what we’re feeling.
Right. Now.

I wonder, O Lord, what these days mean.

And yet, in spite of my questions,
and in spite of the troubling days
your people are living,
still I turn to you, and with all confidence
I say,

NEVERTHELESS!

Nevertheless, I will hope continually,
and I will praise you more and more.

For the midst of chaos, 
in the midst of trouble,
in the midst of sickness,
in the midst of grief,
in the midst of deep darkness,

is You.

You, O Lord, are my hope.
You strengthen me by your presence 
Right. Now.

There is no chaos out of which you cannot
create entire worlds.
There is no trouble which you cannot put to rest.
There is no sickness which you cannot heal.
There is no grief which you cannot comfort.
There is no darkness capable of extinguishing your light.

You, O Lord, are my hope.
And that is enough.

Though I may experience all forms
of misery and trouble,
NEVERTHELESS!
I will hope continually,
and I will praise you more and more.

Blessed be you, indeed, O God,
Father of my Lord, Jesus Christ,
who by the power of the Holy Spirit
comes to me
and fills me with hope.

I may always wonder, O Lord, what these days mean.
But this I will always know:
You are my God. And that is enough.

Because you are my God and my Hope,
praise will ever be on my lips.
Amen.



During the season of Lent, I am “Praying with David,” using prayers from the psalms as inspiration for personal prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment