Thursday, March 5, 2020

Teach Me to Look Back, Lord

The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
     surely I have a delightful inheritance.
(Psalm 16:6)




Teach me to look backwards, O Lord.
Teach me to look back at my life 
as I have lived it thus far.

I don’t want to relive the “good old days;”
I’m not looking for a “do-over”
for the mistakes I have made;
I don’t long for happier times.
That’s not why I want for you to
teach me to look backwards, O God.

Teach me to look backwards,
so I can see how you have blessed me;
teach me to look backwards,
so I can see your providential hand
upon all my days.

If I look back at my life, O God,
surely I will see that 
the boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places.
If I look back at my life, O God,
surely I will see your love in more abundance
than I ever realized.

Hindsight is twenty-twenty, or so they say.
Give me eyes to see
how you have blessed me beyond measure,
and how you have brought me to today.

Teach me to look backwards, O God,
so I can live today with gratitude,
and so I may have hope for tomorrow
and all the tomorrows thereafter.

The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.

Teach me to look backwards, O God,
that I may praise you all of my days.
Through Christ, my Lord. Amen.



During the season of Lent I am “praying with David,” using prayers found in the psalms as inspiration for personal prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment